Circa 1885 - The Charles H. Drayton House, built between 1883-1886. Cited by architectural historians as one of the finest examples of Eastlake Victorian architecture in South Carolina. In addition to the grand main house, the property has a fine collection of antebellum dependencies behind. A significant Greek Revival home once stood on the property, burned during the war between the states. The original tack house and stables still remain, now used as one of the two guest houses. Located on the southwest corner of East Battery and Atlantic Streets, allowing each room a commanding view of the harbor.Within this prime East Battery waterfront row, you will find the best examples of early Georgian, Adam style, Regency, Greek Revival, and Victorian architectures in the country.Currently configured as a four bedroom main house, one bedroom guest house (1,734sqft), with another guest suite in the historic tack house centered in the lush garden.
Landscape architect Sheila Wertimer redesigned the garden, when a convenient gated driveway access was created from East Battery. Architect Glen Keys assisted in the renovation/preservation of the tack house.
Original details, grand rooms on the first and second levels, and large windows offering the best of harbor views. . The main house offers an elevator from the street level to the third level of the main house. Recently, the main house roof was replaced. No conservation easements have been taken. All on .328 acres. A rare opportunity to own one of the "East Battery 12", with gorgeous unobstructed views. See the property by appointment only, notice required. Two stone lions and Poseidon statue do NOT convey.
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. Copyright © 2022 Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service, Inc.